Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Itinerary

That sounds so hopeful and exotic.  That's what the neurosurgeon team calls this process.  I would like to have the neurosurgeon plant a memory of Andy, the girls, and I adventuring for 2 weeks in Fiji (Alexandra you're taking the pictures) while he is in there!

Here's the itinerary for my surgery, as I understand it:
January 5th:  MRI and complete pre-op physical
January 11th - 12th: Angiogram to embolize the blood vessels that feed the tumor (I guess they use glue to do this - I think I'll take some of Delaney's scotch tape with me just in case)
January 20th - 25th:  Surgery and hospital recovery
January 25th:  Home to recover!!  I plan to take 2 weeks completely off from work and then ramp up to full-time over the next 6 weeks.  There are so many unknowns, so this is the ideal schedule.  However, as my children have so graciously taught me over the years, schedules/plans are made to be disrupted/changed/broken/waylaid, but everything typically works out for the best in the end. 

In the end (March 7), I intend to be resuming life as we knew it pre-Herb.  I imagine there will be changes, good and bad.  I don't kid myself that we can get through this unscathed.  But honestly, as we begin this journey I know I've got good people supporting me and my family and that puts my heart and mind at ease.  I'm so humbled.  This sounds so sappy, but you all have turned on my Heart Light (I hope you hear Neil Diamond swelling in the background as you read this :)).  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I love you all. 

I'll be at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.  I definitely welcome visitors. 

That's all for tonight.  I was lucky to have acupuncture and a massage today, so keep your fingers crossed that I close my eyes and drift right off to sleep :).  I miss sleep immensely - that's one of the pre-Herb pleasures I'm looking forward to enjoying again soon!  Although, it's interesting to live the night life for a brief period, late night shopping on QVC is not an addiction I wish to develop :).

5 comments:

  1. I've already got it on my calendar to come visit you on Monday or later that week if you'd like. You'll be turning people away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph -- many good thoughts and prayers coming your way from Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bravery and optimism are an inspiration. I so much appreciate that you are sharing this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping and praying that your Journey to Pre- Herb Life is a quick one. We all want the Old Steph. I wish I was not So Far (So Cal) and wished I had more time to head up and support you and Andy. With Work and 1300 miles that wont be an easy task. Love ya and Godspeed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you all kinds of positive energy and love and a speedy recovery. I'll be having a virtual get well coffee with you on the 21st:) Love you!

    ReplyDelete