Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Discovery


"Who is Herb and why is he doomed?" 

"Herb" is a meningioma (benign brain tumor).  Herb has been slowly growing on the left side of my brain for a couple of years, although, we just discovered it during an MRI on 12/10/2011.  I decided to name the tumor Herb because it was totally uninvited, will end up being a significant event in our lives, but we hope it will be a distant memory soon. 

Here's a brief history of how we learned about Herb.  In August, I got a headache on the left side of my head.  I've always been prone to headaches, but these were different.  I started seeing my doctor about these headaches.  We tried drugs including Alieve and indomethacin.  Neither worked and the indomethacin (a strong anti-inflamatory used commonly to relieve arthritis) made me loopy and intensified the headaches.  I tried accupuncture and massage.  Nothing could get rid of the headache for more than a 1/2 day or so.  It was frustrating.  I have not been able to run or do yoga since August.  Finally, in early December, the doctor ordered an MRI. 

The MRI went fine.  I'm not uncomfortable in tight spaces or bothered by loud noises (as anyone who has met Andy and the girls know).  I equate the experience to having my head stuck in an unbalanced washing machine with Christmas music playing in the background. 

On 12/12/2011, my doctor called to tell me about Herb.  December is Andy's busy season, so when the doctor called at 6:30 pm I was trying to get Delaney and Ellery ready for bed.  The doctor's news flustered me so much that I hung up on him twice!  He called back after each hangup and Delaney got Ellery ready for bed, including getting her diaper on and teeth brushed.  Such a lovely gift.

Telling Andy the news is the hardest thing I have ever done.  I just didn't want to say the words outloud.  I didn't want to hear myself telling the person I love the most the awful, scary news.  Andy was amazing, he just absorbed the news, held me as I cried, and assured me that we would get through this.  The best part is he is right. 

That night I found out as much about menigiomas as I could.  Since 12/12/2011, I've been to see two different neurosurgeons and have considered all the different treatment options.  The odds are stacked in my favor.  The neurosurgeon is 99% positive its benign.  Its about the size of a golf ball and its not irritating my brain tissue at all.  After collecting all the information we could, Andy and I decided with our neurosurgeon, that surgery is the safest, most effective option for me.  Herb has included the spinal vein, so that complicates the surgery a little, but my neurosurgeon, Dr. Ferreira is a a vascular neurosurgeon at UW Physicians.  Andy and I think we have a great team working with us.

I hope to use this blog to keep people in the loop and set everyone's mind at ease about this bump in the road. 

That's all I have the energy for tonight.  I am hopeful that 2012 will see the end of Herb.

Thanks for all your love, support, friendship, and good thoughts.
Love,
Steph  

7 comments:

  1. Sending electronic hugs, real ones to follow soon. C, C & o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie! You are so strong! You and your family and your surgery team are in my thoughts and prayers! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph,

    My name is Lauren and Julee K. passed along your blog to me. My husband, Brad, was diagnoised with a menigioma in July 2005. His tumor spread across his left occipital and Perietal lobes, was growning out of the tentorium and was the size of a softball. When we first saw it on the MRI image we were horried. It was so large that it consumed 1/3 of his left hemisphere and caused so much swelling that there was hardly any white matter present on the imaging. I couldn't fathom how they would remove something so large without substantial damage to his healthy brain tissue and consequently a greatly degraded quality of life. Our surgeon was confident it was a menigioma, was begnign and could be removed. He was right!

    Brad is now 6+ years from surgery. He leads a normal, full and happy life. I won't lie and tell you that there haven't been difficult times, there have. Surgery will be a challenge for both you and Andy. Accept the help that your loved ones and friends offer you! The road to recovery will be long and at times frustrating but you will recover and you, Andy and the kids will be stronger for it.

    My husband and I stand ready to help you in any way we can. We'd be happy to try and answer questions or share experiences if that would be helful to you. At a minimum, we will be sending postive vibes your way!!

    Sincerely,

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Steph
    I bet it is Scary Lori and I have been down a Scary Road (as I say it to hell and back). You have a good man in Andy. I know, I have known him since he was Born. I am glad you Named it Herb, says you are in the Right Mind and are Very Strong. I don't want to Blab on But you know I care deeply for you. I will think and pray for you, Andy and the girls.
    Love and ((((((Hugs))))) Jarvis And Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending our love and hugs. We are close and here to help in any way you need. Love, Darlene and Carl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just know we are there for you. Tit-for-tat I think they say. Do they really say that? Thinking of you more than alot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and hugs to you, Andy, and the girls. :-) Carla

    ReplyDelete